Friday, May 30, 2008

Revelations at the Bookstore

Barnes and Noble just opened in our town. This is a big event for me and family as we are avid readers, and usually one of us has our nose stuck in some novel. However, due to the fact that we haven't had the benefit of a good bookstore in our town or within 100 miles of us, I had not been in a good bookstore for years. Why? Amazon.com, thats why.

The first area I visited inside the store was the photography and digital video section. I picked up a book on "lighting." I thought "this will be helpful..." Much to my dismay, as I was flipping the pages I had awful memories of being in school, and being expected to learn by just reading a text book. My revelation was that there is few things I love more than a good novel. I can stand a good business book (in small doses) But "how to" books, no thanks. My brian just does not work like that. For example, in the last 6 months, I've have had the learn all the Adobe CS3 products for work. Was it hard? Yes. Was it rewarding? Everyday. If I was limited to a how to book when trying to learn those programs, I would be flipping burgers at the local burger joint as a replacement job.

This is part of what frustrates me about the public school system. It really seems like it is built around those that learn a certain way. All those who learn differently, they are labeled as "slow" or inattentive. That's total BS. But, reality. This reminds me of the book "the dip" Ive blogged about it before. I wish that book was required reading when I was in 7th grade along with the rest of the "text books" they had me read.

Thats todays rant...

1 comment:

Cathryn said...

I am with you on the public school thing. It is frustrating. I am aprecciative of it for some reasons, but not many. On the flip side, I don't think I would do to great homeschooling so for me there is not much of another option that wouldn't cost me a small fortune for each kid. What to do...

I also dislike "how-to" books. I am all about someone showing me how to do it; reading it (unless it is a recipe) makes no sense! Show me first, then I can learn.

Love to see your posts.